12-week eCourse beginning Monday, September 22
This advanced eCourse is ideal for institutions and organizations that would like non-cataloging staff to become proficient at hands-on cataloging—no prior cataloging experience is required.
From the basic core concepts to building their own records with several weeks of hands-on exercises, your staff can go from beginner to advanced cataloger in this eCourse. Participants will cover the latest trends, techniques, and instructions—including RDA: Resource Description and Access—to help catalog your materials.
In 12 weeks, participants will:
• Learn about different cataloging schemes and different types of records
• Learn the core concepts that govern the field of cataloging with an emphasis on working in an online environment
• Learn how bibliographic description works, including the basics of different cataloging standards and bibliographic formats
• Gain a thorough understanding of how authority control and subject access work
• Catalog materials in a variety of formats and subject areas
• Use the Dewey Decimal Classification Scheme and the Library of Congress Classification Scheme
Participants who complete this Advanced eCourse will receive a SJSU iSchool/ALA Publishing Advanced Certificate of Completion.